June is PTSD Awareness Month - Veterans, PTSD and the Healing Power of Music
June is PTSD Awareness Month - We're ALL In This Together
Freedom Sings USA's mission is to break the stigma associated with mental health issues and to provide veterans with coping tools using creative art therapy, camaraderie and music workshops. Like any serious injury or illness suffered by our veterans, mental health and wellness needs to be priority. Together we can raise awareness and ensure that veterans find the help they need.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that is triggered by an emotionally disturbing or distressing event. The behavioral and psychological characteristics brought on by PTSD can affect a person's ability to work, perform day to day activities or relate to family and friends.
- 83% of all US veterans and active service members suffer from PTSD since the 9/11 attacks.
- 30% Vietnam vets still suffer from PTSD 50 years later
- 12% Gulf and Desert Storm vets
- 11%-20% Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom vets
- Many service members avoid or delay seeking mental health for fear of losing their careers
PLEASE ACT NOW...
Just as our veterans served to protect us, it's our turn to fight for them.
Get involved. Donate. Volunteer. Call your pastor or your congressmen.
Veterans can heal through the power of music.
Whether you're a veteran looking for a safe place to share your story, a songwriter who wants to help give a voice to those who have served, or an organization looking to support our efforts, we invite you to connect with us and find out how to get started.